For NEW AYSO Referees!
Welcome to the AYSO Referee Program for Region 9! We appreciate your commitment to our players as an AYSO
Whether you begin your volunteer “career” as a U8 Referee or as a Regional Referee, we want you to receive the very
best in training, mentoring and even referee-specific fitness training. We are excited to help you get from the classroom
to the soccer field.
Remember, with AYSO, soccer is more than just a game!
If you have not done so, please take the CDC Head's Up Concussion Training online course. The link and more information
about it is on our Training & Upgrades page.
What you need to do to be ready for the Fall Regular Season:
- Make sure you are registered as an AYSO Volunteer for the current season at
eAYSO (the same website
and login you used to sign-up your child to play).
- Be sure to print, sign & date two (2) copies of your eAYSO Volunteer Application and turn them
in to Mark Spear or another
Region 9 Board member.
- Never used eAYSO before?
Click here for instructions.
- Not sure if you are already registered as an AYSO Volunteer? (You only need to do so once each year,
no matter how many volunteer positions you hold...)
Click here to see our list of Registered
Volunteers. If your name is on the list and Processed = Yes, you are set!
- Jot down your AYSO Volunteer ID#. You will need this for scheduling, classes and several
- Complete the AYSO Safe Haven training online at
- You will need your AYSO Volunteer ID# to access this web-based training; get that at
- Bring proof of completion with you to your first class
- Attend one of Region 9's U8 or Basic Referee classes in August;
click here for details.
- U8 Referee training is geared toward new Team Referees for U7 or U8 teams.
- Basic Referee training is designed for all other new AYSO referees.
- Attend a Pre-Season Referee Meeting (mandatory for all
Region 9 referees, new and returning).
- U7 & U8 referees should attend Tuesday, August 27th,
6:30 PM, at the new Conejo Creek South Community Building
- U10-U14 referees should attend Wednesday, August 28th,
6:30 PM, at the
Los Robles Greens Banquet Center, 299 South Moorpark Road.
Thousand Oaks CA 91361.
- Get your new Referee Gear:
- Region 9 provides your Uniform (yellow jersey, black shorts, black socks with
white stripes) and various Accessories (whistle, lanyard, data wallet and a Region 9
coin for the all important pre-game coin toss).
- You are responsible for shoes (preferably solid black turf shoes or cleats),
a watch and a pen or pencil (it's best to have a couple of them in case one of them "fails" or "disappears"
during a game).
- Contact Gary Bell for
more information about uniforms and accessories.
- Be sure that we have you in our Referee Scheduling database (this is separate from eAYSO!).
Click here; you will need your
ID# (get that at
eAYSO) and your last name (sorry, can't help you there!)
- Learn how to schedule yourself for games!
- U7 & U8 Team Referees get to join their son or daughter on the field (as an official, not as a player).
- U10 - U14 Team Referees cannot referee their own child's game in any capacity, but you can choose an
assignment that fits in with your schedule and your level of training and experience.
- Come see us at the Referee tent.
- Grab some water (you'll need it, we have it!)
- Meet some of your fellow referees (other newcomers like yourself and some of the more experienced AYSO
- Be sure to sign in for each of your referee assignments!
Contact our Regional Referee Administrator (also referred to as the RRA),
Mark Spear, if you have any questions
or need additional information.